by William Smith, L.L.D.
Revised and Edited by F. N. and M. A. Peloubet
Publisher: Holt, Rinehart and Winston
Everyone acknowledges the great value of Dr. William Smith's Bible Dictionary, as containing "the fruit of the ripest biblical scholarship of England," and that much of this value remains in the condensation of his larger work into one smaller volume.
At the request of the publishers of this volume to make an abridgment of his larger work, and adap it to the present wants of Sunday-School teachers, we have faithfully endeavored to embody the following results:
1. The main body of the work is precisely as Dr. Smith himself made it.
2. We have made some abridgments, but almost entirely of matter not specially helpful or interesting to teachers, or to any who would not be likely to have large four-volume edition.
3. We have added all the proper names used in the New Revision, where they have differed from those in the Authorized Version.
4. The signification of all the proper names have been inserted from the best authorities, in addition to the few which are found in the former editions.
5. The results of the latest research, especially in regard to the topography of Palestine, are embodied in various articles.
6. Some subjects have been rearranged, to make them clearer, and sometimes fuller and more definite information has been given.
7. The dates at which persons lived and events took place have been inserted, not because absolute reliance can be placed on their accuracy, but in order to show the relative positions of each, and hence to give a clearer idea of the history and progress of events. The dates are in accordance with Archbishop Ussher's system as printed in our common Bibles. Those after the reign of David, from which time a good degree of accuracy is obtainable, are from M'Clintock and Strong's large Cyclopedia.
8. All important changes are marked with the signature "Ep.," so that Dr. Smith may not be regarded as responsible for them.
9. Special thanks are due to the American Sunday-School Union for the use of some of the very excellent illustrations from Schaff's Bible Dictionary.
Condition: Used. Hardcover. No Dust cover. Spine of the cover is falling off. Binding is splitting in places throughout the book. Water stains on the cover. Previous owner's name and address are on the front endpaper. "4.50" is written on the front endpaper. Edges may show a bit of wear. Inside covers and pages may be darkening from age.
Don't Delay. Buy It Now!
Why Buy From Me?
* Shipping Speed Most people are extremely amazed at how fast I get their item delivered to them. I ship the same day you pay for your item, whenever possible.
Strong Positive Feedback 100% positive feedback. Customers are overwhelmingly pleased with the quality of the item they receive, the accuracy of the item's description, the prompt and informative email notifications, and of course the speedy delivery.
* Blujay Member Since 2005 I'm here to stay.
* ID Verified My feedback profile also displays the ID Verified icon. An extra level of safety and security for buyers to know.
* PayPal Buyer Protection All of my listings display the PayPal Buyer Protection icon to qualify for up to $1000.00 of protection for you, the buyer.
Payment Methods Money Order, PayPal
Ship to Locations: Books, CDs and Magazines are shipped within the United States. Collector Dolls are shipped to U.S. and Canada ONLY!!!
Doll purchases to Canada go via USPS Priority International. Please contact me for shipping cost to Canada.
Shipping Costs to any ZIP CODE inside the UNITED STATES are already quoted on the item. I do insure packages upon request for $2.80 fee.
UPS Ground Shipping and Additional Insurance for DOLLS inside the UNITED STATES are already included in the shipping cost for each doll listed.
I ship books as soon as I receive payment. Dolls are normally shipped on Tuesdays. Buyer pays actual shipping costs.